Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I have been having health issues the past little while ( namely, diabetes,high blood pressure, knee pain) and my weight  has been very out of control, mostly because I have been mindlessly eating and not exercising because of knee pain.  I have come to the decision to have gastric bypass surgery.  John is not comfortable with this, but I have thought about it a lot and have felt that I need to get help
before I have no more options.  I really want to be a good grandma to my grandchildren, I especially want to be a good wife and mother. I want to be able to do things with John as he is getting closer to retirement. I think it would be nice to go bike riding, walking, and other physical activities with him. I don't want to be a burden to him or anyone for that matter. I am too young to be confined to a wheelchair.  That  is where I see myself heading if I don't do something now.
My insurance will pay for the procedure if I take six months to work with the Dr. and dietician,physical therapy,and counseling.   I have begun the process starting in July and have been to track my food that I eat and to learn to chew it longer, to slow down and take my time to enjoy and let my stomach get full before I eat more.  I am trying to develop good eating habits. I am trying to be conscious of all that I eat.  I know that I should have done this all while I was raising my children so they could have better habits.I suppose there is no better time than the present to start.  So I will probably be keeping everyone posted as to what I am doing and when I have the bypass done.  I hope it will be done before the end of the year as our deductible is met now.
I have had a sleep study done and they have found that I have sleep apnea, which is no surprise because I am tired all the time.  I will rent a cpap machine until I can get this weight off. I hope I will not need it after that.  What a pain!
Since I have began keeping a food log I have lost 14 pounds and I have just started my exercise program and hope to get it off faster.  I am expected to lose weight before the surgery. They want want me to be in the best physical condition that I can before. It all helps.  John has said what if I lose 50 pounds or so and was wondering    if I would really need the surgery if I just kept losing like I am.  I have thought about that too.  I suppose I still have options then.  I know that it is a struggle to get down to a goal weight and keep it there, But this procedure is suppose to help get me there and with the things I learn while I am getting there, I hope that I will have developed some very good habits so that I won't gain it back. This surgery is simply a tool to help me.  I will still have to work
hard.  I don't want to be diabetic, and I don't want high blood pressure which I hope to reverse.  I hope my knee pain will go away as I lose weight also.  The knee may need other help but we'll take it one step at a time. So I am one month down and 5 more to go!
I will at some point, post before and after pics and along the journey too!  I really don't like myself too much right now to even post pictures so be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment